Thursday, April 30, 2009

NHL and Hockey Rumors for May 1, 2009

The Phoenix Coyotes have denied a report that the NHL has been running the franchise since February. Coyotes President Doug Moss refuted that report late Wednesday night, saying the league has not assumed control of the Coyotes. "We are not reporting to the league," Moss said. "We report to (owner) Jerry Moyes. I'm dealing with things in my area, the business side, and Donnie (GM Don Maloney) is dealing with the hockey side." Source

Brochu's European rumor roundup:

The Globe and Mail is reporting that Jaromir Jagr hasn't ruled out a return to the NHL, and if he does return, his first choice would be the Edmonton Oilers. The 37 year old still has one year left on his contract with KHL club Avangard Omsk, but wants to play with the team that offered him a contract last summer. "I was pretty excited when I heard that Edmonton pushed pretty hard for me to get (there)," Jagr said Thursday at the IIHF World Hockey Championship. "I really appreciate it. If I ever go to (the NHL), they would be my No. 1 pick because they showed the interest first. I never forget that and I respect that." Brochu's take: Anything is possible, especially given a year's time. He would be pretty dynamite on Ales Hemsky's line. Source

Florida Panthers forward Richard Zednik has signed a two-year contract with Russian team Lokomotiv Yaroslavl. Brochu's take: Hmmm, I always thought Zednik would have no trouble securing an NHL contract. Funny enough, he was announced as a candidate for this year's Masterton trophy. Source

Colorado Avalanche forward Per Ledin has left the organization and signed a 6-year deal with Swedish club HV71. Source

No comments: